FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK Car Rental Advice Requested
View Single Post
Old Jun 24, 2023, 10:48 am
Jon Maiman

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
UK Car Rental Advice Requested

This will be my first time driving in the UK. We will be arriving on the typical redeye flight from the US at 10AM local time. So rather than taking on the adjustment immediately, when I will likely be exhausted, my current plan is to pickup a car in Bath (our first destination) and keep it for the rest of the trip and eventually return it to LHR.

Our Parameters:
  1. Family of 3 with one medium piece of luggage and one small carry on/personal item size bag each.
  2. Automatic required. Been way too many years since I drove a manual to attempt it again while also adjusting to driving on the left side of the road.
  3. Rough Itinerary with day trips to explore in each are: Bath -> Cotswolds (Day Trip Enroute) -> Cardiff -> Exeter -> LHR.
  4. From my research looks like only Hertz and Europcar have locations in Bath. Hertz doesn't have any availability so they're out. I do have a cancellable reservation with EuropCar
  5. Many more options in Bristol. Currently have a cancellable reservation with Avis for a pickup at Bristol Airport. Avis seems to get good reviews for Europe and I have had good experiences with them in the US.
Questions:
  1. While Bath pickup would be much more convenient, Europcar has terrible reviews. Am I asking for trouble booking through them?
  2. If I go with Avis at Bristol, debating between picking the car up Sunday Evening or Monday Morning. Sunday pickup would make it easier to get an early start to the Cotswolds on Monday. How good is Avis at honoring car types later in the day/early evening? E.g. how likely am I to find myself stuck with a manual?
  3. Any other recommended car rental agencies (I don't do National/Alamo/Enterprise)?
  4. Should I just deal with it and drive from LHR to Bath. Currently planning on train or perhaps private car to get to Bath from LHR. Car rental would be much simpler with pickup and return at LHR and lots of options.

Thanks,

Jon

P.S. I also initially considered doing most of the travel by train to get between the locations we're staying Bath, Cardiff, Exeter. While service is plentiful, it would be costly for 3 people and I would still need to rent a car during each of our stays for a local sightseeing. We're not organized tour people and prefer to control where and how much time we spend at each area/attraction. Furthermore, while we plan our days, we also like having the option to adjust on the spur of the moment when desired.