FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Old Jun 21, 2023, 5:11 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
Ticketed customers may waitlist for travel in a premium cabin for an alternate flight. Reservations where all segments are waitlisted without any confirmed segments are not permitted.

I am a bit confused by the above statement but I thought you could never double book flights at the same time,
Correct.

is this what they mean by "alternative flight". I have tried several times with upgrade requests in play and usually get "caught" within 24 hrs and get one of reservations cancelled stating duplicate or something like impossible booking (similar times). Is this what they are refering to as "alternative"?
You’re not allowed to have two reservations that conflict. In theory, you are allowed to waitlist for an alternative flight as part of a confirmed reservation. The difference is that in this scenario, you’re not affecting inventory on two flights at once.

Secondly, and again maybe my not understanding what the "all segments" means but I thought you could waitlist all segs on connecting flights, given the stated restrictions? (ie. SFO-ORD-CLE)
When making an award reservation, you would not be allowed to waitlist SFO-ORD-CLE with none of the legs cleared in any class. That’s done to keep you from getting in a position where you have one confirmed leg and one waitlisted leg.

All of this is referring to waitlisting for business class awards. None of it is applicable to using PlusPoints.