FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]
Old Jun 13, 2023, 5:46 am
lamphs

Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
Planning a 5night trip here but seems like it would be a bit far away Pisac (40kms), Chinchero (30kms). Is taxi from hotel best bet? Or should I consider splitting the stay and stay few days in Cusco? Was hoping to get the 5th night free with points booking.
I stayed here in April 2022 for two nights after 4 nights/4 days on the Inka Trail to MP. And I fully intended to post a review...apparently I didn't.

I concur with the last review posted with two exceptions. On a points stay, I was upgraded to the Senior Suite as a Platinum without a SNA. And while many of the pics imply a ground level patio, that is only for a limited number of rooms. I think all rooms had the ground level patio or a balcony. If you'd like a ground level patio, you'd need to ask for it specifically prior to check-in. I believe that I did have to pay the per night destination fee, however. This was a case where I actually received value from the fee (and it was a small price to pay for such a great property on points). (And I should note that I would've been just as happy had I not been upgraded.)

The only transportation I used was arranged by the hotel - from Ollantaytambo and to CUZ. After 4N/4D on the trail, I was not interested in searching for other options, although I recall the pricing to be reasonable by US standards. I am sure there are other options to/from the sites. I should note that while I did not take a taxi from CUZ to the hotel as I was coming off the trail, I did attempt to use a taxi to get from CUZ to my hotel in Cusco - 10 minutes trip and the tourist price was ridiculous. I ended up using Uber (or whatever Cusco uses for ridesharing - I forgot). All the more reason to have a ride with a set price prior to arriving at CUZ.

If you plan to do a day trip to MP, just be sure to plan well in advance, maybe with the help of the hotel. It is my understanding that after COVID, the number of allowed entries daily has been reduced. And it is an hour to Ollantaytambo. And then an hour long train ride to Aguas Calientes. And then a 30 minute bus ride to the MP entrance. And by the way, if you are reading this and thinking Aguas Calientes is a good place to stay - don't. My group had to hang out there for 3 hours after coming off the trail and waiting for the reserved train. Aguas Calientes is a total tourist trap.

I think it was about an hour from the hotel to CUZ, which is roughly in the city. Cusco is definitely worth a day trip.

In addition, I went across the street to explore and have lunch each day in Urubamba. Walk straight about 5 blocks and one is in the town's center. It is a nice town to explore. And plenty of places to eat. I had a really good wood fired pizza one day and traditional Peruvian food the second day. If you don't speak Spanish, just be sure to have Google Translate or like on your phone. I could have had dinner in town also, but I was just too tired and lazy, and had good dinners in the hotel restaurant (a very rare deviation for me).

If you are one of those who want to scrutinize your bill at checkout, get a copy the night before or something. The bill is very complicated. Every charge is broken into not only the good or service, but also the individual taxes, and it is all in Spanish. My bill was two pages for two nights, again on points, and breakfast included. My bill was error free, but one never knows.

To answer your question more directly, I think it would be a good property for day trips. The points value is excellent.