FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]
Old Jun 6, 2023, 6:55 am
ZzzzX

Originally Posted by Whittaker
I still do it. Not that I think I can fool them, but the less reason to be looking at my account, the better. Right after I crossed my latest 6500 threshold, I had like 3-4 500+ charges that showed 5% rewards, then one that didn't, then all since have been 5% rewards. No way I was gonna call about that one missing reward. It wasn't worth it to put eyes on my account.

Yep, I remember back when people were trying to do 50K in the first couple months of the year and got shut down. They didn't grasp that doing like 20K or more a month looks to Amex like your attempting to do a lot more on an annualized basis. The velocity could even be triggered by the algorithm.

And Amex can pitch to advertisers that they have these high-spending cardholders they can advertise to.
Amex May have a different definition of “high spending.” I’m sure they know. But it’s just not an issue. Especially after Covid. There are other business issues to consider.

anyway, I have 1. I stopped using it before Covid. Life circumstances changed, it was harder to make use of the card, I moved etc. But I still have it. I only use it occasionally now. I use the crap out of my other Amex cards, but not for MS.