FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}
Old May 29, 2023, 3:41 pm
Eujeanie

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Megan Murray
Has anyone stayed at the GW recently who can comment on how it is getting on with refurbishments? We are coming to Maui for the first time in a few months and it’s always been a bucket list thing for me to stay at the GW because of the pool. Availability has opened up for points bookings for our dates and we are currently booked into an apartment just up the road in Wailea. I’m now debating whether or not to book the GW.

I’ve recently read so many posts and reviews saying that the property is a building site, it is very dated and aged, and the water elevator is still broken. Is it really that bad? Is there still no estimated date for the water elevator being repaired? It seems ridiculous that it is taking this long. I also wonder the likelihood of getting a refurbished room as I would be disappointed to check in and receive one of the older rooms which frankly look worse than most 3 star hotels I’ve stayed in.

We don’t have enough points for our proposed three night stay, so factoring everything in it would cost about the same as our apartment up the road plus another 340,000 Hilton points. I’m now debating whether or not that is worth it. Any guidance you have or recent experience staying at the GW would be much appreciated!
I don't know if the GW does it, I know some hotels in various places do, but sometimes if you rent a cabana you don't have to be a guest. That way you could keep your apartment, and try out the pools for a day (a long day, cabana rental is usually from morning til night).

If you can't do that, while we love the pools, you didn't say if you had kids with you and how old they are. Having the space of an apartment/condo is alway great compared to one room. So there are trade offs.