FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ride Report : 2023 BMW 330i
View Single Post
Old May 25, 2023, 11:46 am
cardsqc

Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
That new shifter setup is really bizarre. Seems like everyone wants to reinvent the wheel on how we select gears.
I kinda wonder, does the paddle actually move to different spots for what you're in, or is it just kinda an up/down click? If the latter, makes me wonder if it'll be just as much of a disaster as the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee shifter was, where it was impossible to tell whether you had it in gear or park easily, and could miss it when trying to change.

The other thing I haven't figure out about modern car design - it seems like they all spend all this money trying to make the interior of a car look "good" (by some subjective measurement), then hand the interior off to a completely different team that then just randomly bolts tablets that look completely out of place in the vehicle to serve as display. There's like 0 effort to try to integrate it into the design of the dash, and in this particular case, it looks even worse than a lot of other designs I've seen, where's it literally looks like someone put it in as a complete afterthought - "Car looks great, check out that nice smooth new dashboard we have. Oops, we forgot to put any sort of display in, let's just bolt this ultrawide tablet in place with a couple of feet propping it into position."

The european manufacturers seem to start off as the worst offenders, but it's been catching in the US manufacturers too lately.