FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}
Old May 17, 2023, 7:48 pm
HIFlya

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I've never been on a whale watch tour. Tried once, seas were too rough.

But something happened recently off the coast of Oregon that has put me off whale wathcing. Forever. Childish, you might think. I guess I'm just naive.

A pod of orcas (aka "killer" whales) were off the Oregon Coast. As a pod of grey whales was passing by. Now, in my naivete, I "know" of orcas who live in the San Juan Islands off the coast of washington. Always thought they were the cutest whales, all black and whilte, had heard that the markings are so unique it's how they identify them. All roses and sunshine so far. Sure didn't sound like "killer" whales.

So last week, off the coast of Oregon (where I live), a pod of orcas ran into a pod of gray whales (think the sharks and the jets, ready to rumble), and this pod of orcas separated a baby newborn gray whale from its pod, and thrashed and smashed and killed this baby gray whale to its bloody death.

Mother nature? Sure. Did I expect it? No. I readily admit my bad, my naivete.

I do not need to go see that.
Whoa...that sounds amazing in a nature type of way. You saw it happen in person or was this something shown on the news? I can totally understand being traumatized by the experience if you saw it in person.