FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My niece has leukemia (update: Aveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma) and just need to vent
Old May 6, 2023, 9:37 pm
HWGeeks

Programs: Delta Plat
My niece has leukemia (update: Aveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma) and just need to vent

BTW not sure if this is the right forum for this, so if it isn't I do apologize.

My niece was diagnosed with leukemia on Monday may 1st. She's a niece by marriage and while not my blood she and I have gotten a long really well. She's 13 years old big smart ... but super smart as well.

She lives in the Dominican republic and has been in the hospital since the 14th of April maybe the 15th don't really recall. The doctors there didn't know what was wrong and kept running test after test after test with no clue as to what was wrong just that her plaquette level was low.

I have a pediatrician friend in Ohio, sent her my nieces medical records and pictures of bruising around her body and in her mouth and first thing she told me was it looked like leukemia, but that they need to run some test to rule out infections to ask the doctors to run the test. When we asked, the doctors in the Dominican Republic they just scoffed at us and said to stop consulting elsewhere. I wish they had listened.

They finally tested her bone marro on the 26th and the 1st came back the positive result. Doctor the heartless b word that she is, told my niece alone while her mom went to get breakfast and her father was out at the blood bank buying blood. According to my niece she simply told her she had cancer and left. My brother in-law and his wife found my niece crying in her hospital bed, and she wouldn't tell them why. Eventually a few hours later the nurse told them the reason why she was crying.

The doctor doesn't even want to show her face near the family anymore, and today after the 6th blood transfusion and 5th plaquettes transfusion, they told my brother-in-law that soon they will send her home, that they won't be giving her anymore blood transfusions. Which means they have given up on her, and she will die.

What's worst is they aren't even sure what type of leukemia because the test cost too much and the hospital needed to get approval or something, even when we offered to pay.

I had started a GoFundMe for her, because her father has literally sold his trucking business too pay for blood and test to help his daughter and I have pitched in as well as other family members, but it just seems all or nothing now.

We tried getting a b2 emergency visa to get her to the states, and hopefully take her to st judes or some other hospital. But the lawyers in the DR said it was a long shot and not to waste the money. So here I am just venting.

Last edited by HWGeeks; May 6, 2023 at 9:48 pm Reason: Added disclaimer at the top about the forum.