FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade for Honeymoon Rescinded / Weird Stuff
Old May 5, 2023, 6:50 am
PHX_Flyer16

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Anytime an agent tells you that the "upgrade should clear soon" they are just making things up.

Upgrade space either exists or it doesn't. It sounds like they just put you both on the waitlist from the get go.

Months later it's really hard to tell exactly what happened, but we have seen instances where your reservation may appear to show business class even when you're just waitlisted. EDIT: And based on what you just mentioned in your subsequent posts this is almost assuredly what happened, the upgrade never cleared in the first place.

Also even though she is waitlisted with a CK's SWU (supposedly) her waitlist position is based on her status, which sounds like none.

The last thing I'd be worried about is why your PHX-DFW segment hasn't cleared yet, it is 100% normal for AA not to release any C space months in advance for a route like that. Calling over and over is just going to solicit bogus responses from clueless agents.

Unfortunately devoting years of loyalty just so you can get upgraded on one special trip where you have zero flexibility on dates etc. is always a recipe for disaster.
The frustrating part was that we did have some flexibility, which is why I used Expert Flyer to confirm there were at least 6 seats in business available for upgrade. Also, wouldn't she have been on my Platinum Pro status for the mileage upgrade priority? Or did the agent screw that up with when she split the reservations?

In theory then, shouldn't they have used the systemwide upgrade on her, then the mileage upgrade on me to leverage my priority?

Final thing, does a the status of a Systemwide upgrade really depend on the flyer's status and not the status of the Concierge Key member who requested it on their behalf? That is definitely NOT what the reservation agent told us when we called.

Any advice on anything that can be done now, or are we screwed?