FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hertz Vehicle Upgrades and Experiences for Elites Master Thread and Guide
Old May 2, 2023, 10:37 am
masmadrid

Originally Posted by zerem
PC @ Malta International Airport

Reserved: Economy (Hyundai i20 example car)
Received: Compact Crossover, Hyundai Bayon

I was pleasantly surprised, given that many smaller European Hertz locations don't recognize member status and aren't obligued to give upgrades. Anyway, after driving (on the left side of the road) a while on the narrow streets and tight corners of Malta I was beginning to think that a real upgrade would rather have been to get smaller car... Anyway, after a while I got the hang of it and enjoyed driving there!

If you ever go there, don't book a bigger car than you need and unless you're comfortable driving on the left side, ensure to book an automatic, I'm glad I did! Mind you, the biggest class Hertz has for rent there is Midsize and the example is Hyundai Tucson which is a compact crossover, you really don't want to drive anything bigger than that in Malta...
I've been 'upgraded' in Europe quite a lot. Many people book the smallest/cheapest car, and they never have enough, so they "upgrade" you. But a lot of the times you really do want a tiny car! I usually politely push back and say it's a downgrade in experience (more fuel, more stressful to drive etc), but a lot of the time they just don't have the vehicles available