FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Oneworld Explorer User Guide
View Single Post
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:12 am
pye1201

Programs: AA Platinum
Advice on proposed itinerary

I think this is the right forum? Correct me if I'm wrong please! I’m hoping to get some input into this itinerary – it’s been 8 years since I had some invaluable advice from the experts on this forum and I’m hoping for a bit more.

NRT-SEAo-LASo-JFKo-GRUo-MADx-CDGo-LHRx-ATHo-DOHx-SYDo-NOUo-SYDx-BKKo-NRT

Husband and I need to be in Brazil in late March 2024 for a wedding but other than that we are completely flexible – my only other aim is to pack as many miles and sectors into our itinerary as I can. We plan to take 4-5 months on the first half, taking a big break back in Sydney before completing it with the Noumea/Bangkok sectors. I plan to buy a flexible return ticket SYD-NRT-SYD as starting in NRT vs SYD is a substantial saving – only just a little more than starting in OSL (which is a much expensive positioning flight for us).

We plan to start the trip in late February/early March 2024, thus book every flight after GRU with dummy dates and rebook them as they become available.

I’ve checked the flights in Expert Flyer with QR flights for all three 14hr long haul flights (their business class product is so good) and JAL for most of the rest except for QF short hauls back in Aus. Once I know if this itinerary is going to work, I hope to price the surcharges out on ITA Matrix to add to the $AUD9,836 individual DONE5 fare that Expert Flyer gave as a base fare.

Question 1: Is it viable or have I made a really stupid stuff-up? I have plugged it into the Oneworld trip planner which says it’s viable until I’m halfway through pricing the itinerary and for some reason it just keeps hanging.

Question 2: I think I can fly into SYD for a 6 month stopover and then transit back through between NOU and BKK?
Question 3: I couldn't find a better way other than the CDG-LHR-ATH other than Iberia CDG-MAD-ATH(which has no business class on this route)- is this one a problem?

Question 4: If the itinerary works, I count 14 sectors? Any suggestions to squeeze one more stop somewhere?

Thank you in advance for anyone who has the time and patience to read through my overly long entry and who might offer some suggestions.