FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Big UPGRADE Thread – all you need to know about AY upgrades
Old Apr 19, 2023, 10:53 am
haapalainen

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by johnmb
I see, for me I only have the Finnair plus status since this is my second time flying them. How does the status affect the waitlist? Does J3 means there is a few empty seat that are available for those who are on the waitlist for the upgrade?
J3 means that there are only 3 business class seats on sale for the flight. We don't know how many people are on the waitlist for upgrade but Finnair usually leaves at least 1 seat open for last minute cash buyers. In case there are no more cash tickets sold they could in theory clear 2 upgrades from the waitlist. But the situation can change quickly as some customers cancel and some buy new tickets. There could also be no shows closer to departure.

Finnair usually clears the last upgrades around 36 hours before departure. We don't know exactly how they prioritize the waitlist but one would imagine status played a role. If there are still seats on sale after the T-36 mark, as in J>0, you can ask to be added to the waitlist again through customer service. And if that doesn't work, you can ask again at the airport. Not a very customer friendly process unfortunately.