FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amtrak between NYC Penn Station & Montréal
Old Apr 10, 2023, 9:53 pm
zephyr17

Originally Posted by Analise
I’m relieved to learn that the tracks aren’t shared by a freight line because I know that Amtrak will always be second to freight lines.

I’ve done that drive nearly every year when I was growing up as we used to go skiing at Mt Tremblant every March. I don’t want to drive. Moreover, we would have to rent a car and buy all of the insurance attached to it because we no longer drive a car. It was costing too much money for the driving that we did which was essentially doing alternate side of the street parking.

We know it’s a long ride and I’m relieved that crossing the border with passport inspection is included in that timeframe.

We might just make a go of it and give it a try. We’ll pack bagels for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch. Then we’ll get something to eat in the café late afternoon which will probably be very limited. On the way back, we will pick up all sorts of goodies to enjoy for that trip.

So this is looking like a go although the idea of flying one way is getting my attention.
I did not say the Adirondack was not shared by a freight line. The line between Schenectady and Rouses Point is owned and dispatched by Canadian Pacific. Between Rouses Point and Montreal the Adirondack's route is owned and dispatched by Canadian National. What I did say is freight traffic is light, not non-existent, and the route is under the control of those two freight carriers.