FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Round-the-World with One World. First JL/QR, Business BA/JL/MH/RJ, Economy NH/JL/MS.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 1:11 pm
shefgab

Programs: BAEC
Round-the-World with One World. First JL/QR, Business BA/JL/MH/RJ, Economy NH/JL/MS.

Thanks for joining me on my round the world trip with One World! This was a ~3 week trip that I took back in January/February 2023. I managed to get a great deal on the ticket, but that was probably partly due to it being booked back in August when Japan was still closed to tourists. It was gamble booking not knowing if I was actually able to enter Japan. Thankfully in October Japan lifted their restrictions on tourists, and my trip got the green light.

I was keen to try a few products on this trip, namely Japan Airlines and Qatar Airways First Class. I was curious to try Royal Jordanian too. After tinkering with my itinerary for a long time, I ended up with quite a fun looking itinerary:

British Airways LHR-SAN A35K Business
* California Road trip * Carlsbad, Mojave, Bakersfield, San Jose *
Japan Airlines SFO-HND B773 First
All Nippon Airlines HND-NGS B763 Economy
* Japan * Tokyo, Nagasaki, Unzen NP, Kumamoto, Kagoshima *
Japan Airlines KOJ-HND B763 Economy
Japan Airlines NRT-KUL B788 Business
* Kuala Lumpur *
Malaysia Airlines KUL-BKK B738 Business
Qatar Airways BKK-DOH A380 First
Qatar Airways DOH-CAI A359 First
* Egypt * Cairo, Aswan, Luxor *
Egypt Air CAI-LXR B738 Economy
Egypt Air ASW-CAI A220 Economy
Royal Jordanian CAI-AMM A319 Business
Royal Jordanian AMM-LHR B788 Business

The domestic sectors in Japan and Egypt were booked separately to the RTW ticket. In the six months from booking to flying there were of course a few schedule changes. Thankfully I was able to rectify most issues, althogh some of the timings weren’t quite as good as the original. I was also happy to see the QR DOH-CAI sector changed from B787 to the A350 with Qsuites.

Amongst all the flying I’d have 4 days to do a road trip up the coast from San Diego to San Francisco. Japan would take me down to Kyushu visiting Nagasaki, the Unzen NP, Kumamoto & Kagoshima. After 1 night in Kuala Lumpur, I had a final week in Egypt, taking in all the standard sights in Cairo, Luxor and Aswan.

Unfortunately the weather in California post New Year was appalling, with many roads along the coast wiped out. The rain just didn’t stop for weeks. This necessitated some very last minute rearranging of my itinerary and rebooking of hotels.

Apologies in advance – this might take a while to fully publish!

Some of my other trip reports

Scotland – 12 days in Inverness, Skye, Outer Hebrides, St.Kilda & NC500

Africa for the Weekend? The Inaugural Rwandair Flight Gatwick-Kigali (LGW-KGL-DAR)

Ukraine, Kazakhstan & Azerbaijan. WizzAir, Air Astana, AZAL & QR A380 Biz & Chernobyl

Hawaii Big Island for New Year. BA, AA, US in J & F

Stiff competition on the LHR lounge scene [Svalbard, LHR T2, SK]

Armenia 2006: LHR-VIE-EVN on Austrian Economy

bmi Business Class, Tbilisi to London via Azerbaijan