FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2023 - 2024 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread
Old Apr 2, 2023, 11:54 am
TWA884
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by phh1998
Int.-to-Domestic - 2h20m AA connection at T4 Eagle's Nest vs. 2h AS connection at T6
LAX is my home airport, so I have never connected there. I have Global Entry, which includes PreCheck, so my personal experience of going through passport controls and immigration, and TSA security are likely to be different than what you will experience.

With that in mind, let me point out the following:

It can easily take 20 minutes or longer to get from T4 or T5 to the remote Eagle terminal - I have done that more than once - so that evens out the two options.

Walking between adjacent LAX terminals takes between three and five minutes, so figure on 6-10 minutes longer to walk from TBIT to T6 than to T4.

Will you have checked bags? Those can take a long time to start showing up on the baggage carousels at TBIT. I rarely, if ever, travel with checked bags, however, from what I have heard, it can take as long as 40 minutes or even longer. Yes, the carousels are located after passport controls, so some of the wait will be spent while in the immigration line; however, after collecting your luggage, you will still have to pass by and possibly chat with the CBP officers who staff the exit from the Federal Inspection Service facility.

If I were in your situation, I'd opt for the AS flight with a two-hour connection; I think that you'll get to the T6 gate sooner than to the remote terminal gate and you'll have a backup flight leaving from the same terminal.