FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sick Of RUC/GUC's Breaking Everything On Tickets
Old Mar 29, 2023, 5:08 pm
sydneyracquelle

Originally Posted by cubeman
Booked LGA-DTW as a round-trip. When I booked it said I could use a RUC to go to FC immediately but saw there were 5-6 seats left and rolled the dice. Flight was now 3-4 hours away and it dropped to 2 so I figured burn a RUC to jump to #1. I called the agent she said I was now waitlisted and I noticed I was off the upgrade list. She said that's normal but don't worry on their end it's fine. I repeated that I've done this before and me not being on the upgrade list means I'll get skipped and the Gate agents can't do anything. She "asked" a supervisor and said everything is normal.

About T-10 to boarding I noticed that two people were upgraded to FC, I went to the GA to see if maybe they had RUC's applied also but he said "I don't exist on the upgrade list"/. I called the Diamond line and they said "No you cleared FC on our end and are confirmed". Back and forth for 5 minutes and now being told by the GA "You want me to have to tell them sorry my mistake you aren't being upgraded?". Ends up some mistake made it so there was a 3rd empty seat that was assigned to me but wasn't populating correctly. When we scanned my seat it didn't reassign it automatically and required a reissuing of my ticket.

On my return trip I had no RUC as odds were good, guess what? I don't appear on the upgrade list and since I got to the gate pretty late everything was issued and the GA apologized but once again I wasn't on the upgrade list even with it showing that I requested an FC upgrade on webpage/app.

I've literally used 10-12 GUC's and a handful of RUC's and unless it immediately clears upon booking, any type of waitlist/upgrade list is a nightmare and requires constant supervision from the passenger to get anything to work. I typically book FC (paid) myself but try to enjoy some sort of "discount" with my loyalty by using these things and it's a headache everytime.
With all due respect, why burn an RUC on an hour flight from LGA>DTW? I use mine only for longer cross country trips.