FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fly the Drake vs. more luxurious ship
View Single Post
Old Mar 24, 2023, 12:34 pm
EXPLORADIVA

Programs: American Airlines
I sailed the Drake a few days ago

Hiya... I sailed the Drake both ways on Atlas Ocean Voyages (a smaller luxury cruise line, but new) a few days ago. I went through the same "dilemma" you were a year ago.
I talked at length with
Jonathan Zaccaria who was the expedition leader on our cruise. (search him up, he is VERY well versed) and we talked about this very topic. Flying the Drake awards you no "street cred". He felt and I understood, one has to earn the right to seeing Antarctica. Flyng over the Drake is unpredictable and you may not fly when you think you will. You see no change from the airport to essentially, snow. Part of the build up is getting there...
We sailed it both ways. On the way it was not too bad... but take your Dramamine, or wear the patch and deal with it and save yourself a lot of cash. Take that extra 6K and use it for another trip. If I can sail it, anyone can. And once you do, you feel like a small part of the world's population who has done something pretty bad a$$..Lastly, be sure you boat has a day where you can do the Polar Plunge. it was amazing!!