FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WoH 2023 Category Changes to Take Effect on Mar 28
Old Mar 19, 2023, 2:26 am
VegasGambler
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Matt4200
I understand that at the moment you’re getting good value for your points and that’s great, but I would definitely look at the same ADR’s of those properties pre-COVID to determine quality and actual value as prices at some properties are just hyper-inflated. If it was $100 per night pre-COVID and now they’re charging $400-$500 it’s likely not worth anywhere near that so even getting 3 cpp usage while good may be better used elsewhere. At least that’s how I see it.

For me a prime example of this is Hyatt Place Moab that’s going to be a Category 5 that’s just insane. On top of that the property owner made a deal with Hyatt to mark this as a resort to get extra revenue, plus deny late checkouts for Elites.

We stayed there a few times prior to COVID and while we were on great terms with management and they’d always secure us a good upgrade (which is rare there) it’s honestly Category 2 to Category 3 at best. Meaning $120-$180 cash rate is where it should be and that’s what it was, and eventually where it will shoot back down to in time. We even on occasion we’re granted a Casita and still with that I would never pay a dime above $180 per night as it’s simply not worth it for any Hyatt Place.
I see your point here but the issue is that prices have gone up across the board. So the options are, pay the higher prices, or stop traveling. I choose to continue traveling. I can mitigate this somewhat by staying in less fancy hotels (I have no problem with Hyatt Places) but as you point out, even HP are expensive in many places.

I agree with you about the value vs price distinction and I think a lot of people miss this point ("I got $3000 / night of value from my TSU!!!!" lol, no you didn't, unless you would actually be willing to pay that much cash for that suite) but if all the prices have gone up then the value of just the value that you place on traveling. And I'm not ready to stop traveling. That is, if I run out of chase pts too I'll start paying the new rates -- so for me it's real value, not just price.