FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chances of award availability closer to travel
Old Mar 18, 2023, 5:25 pm
aquaroohi

Programs: Star Alliance, One World
Originally Posted by Cambo
My pleasure.

And, maybe some more tips:
- Contact the Asiamiles desk through the online form, to request to have the flights waitlisted.
- After confirm, wait a few days and call in, and request to have added some more flights on different dates to the same PNR (Many people don't know this is possible, though it is, when calling in).
- And later-on, when waitlists clear, the factual flights will stay in the PNR and the rest is removed.

By adding more dates, you signal towards CX, you are prepared to be flexible, which is a positive sign (vs. banging on fixed dates) and may give you some advantage to get the waitlist approved matching what CX has available. Use ExpertFlyer to follow about availability, new flights, flights canceled, etc (set ExpertFlyer alerts) and when things change, find out, if this could match alternatives for your plans (or might give reasons for CX to clear waitlists). And call......

Assuming, you want to obtain an infant ticket once you get your own redemptions, this is also a profit item with little out-of-pocket costs for CX, so, can be an argument to grant availability to you.

Regarding the speed of refunds: I don't know, I usually plan my trips carefully, so have little reasons to change/cancel for myself. Though during Covid, I did have flights canceled (or impossible changed) by the airline and the only one refunding "fast" happened to be CX. Cancel "yesterday" and when checking "today", the miles were back, granted I am DM.

Use all your positive social skills, when calling in, to take care, you get what you want though are not considered to be a pushy jerk. When there is (at that moment), no solution, just thank and call again, when things may have changed. Don't keep banging on a closed door, you won't get what you want, more the contrary.

This is so important, I (nearly) always get what I want in some way or another, by doing so. IE be flexible, find out what is possible, and, when needed, guide the person you have on the phone to materialize what can be realized at that moment. Getting on a waitlist is also a result, because clearing a waitlist is an easier decision, than cold booking an itinerary (not to forget, when on the waitlist, you are the "first" for that availability, ISO just an open availability for the first one asking). These things are so important, I can not emphasize this enough !

thank you so much for this once again. I did exactly this, but was told I cannot hold any fares or waitlist. So it didn’t really lead me to a solution but I will keep it noted for the future. I definitely was very polite and it really got me all the answers to my many questions.
at this time, I’m thinking abt booking one ticket on cash and the second as a companion award, which is a different strategy altogether.
thank you again, you have been very kind!