FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Renting at OGG (Maui); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread
Old Mar 17, 2023, 4:27 pm
berkeleysquirrel

Originally Posted by LifetimeUpgrade
How did it work when returning the car? With a gas car you need to fill up the tank, but that isn't practical with an EV.

I am debating renting an EV from Hertz Maui this month. My hotels have free charging and valet parking which will handle it, but I am not sure how the return will work
Hertz just requires you to return the car with at least 70% charge. When you return it and the return agent sees it's not full, they might question it but just mention that it's an electric car and you'll be good to go. My final invoice said I returned it 7/8 (I ended up returning it with 75% charge) but there were no extra charges on the invoice. FYI, if the hotel charging is too slow and you need to top up quicker before returning to the airport, there's two different level 3 chargers near the airport - one at Queen Ka'ahumanu Center near the Macy's side of the parking lot and one at Maui Electric HQ in front of their office building. You'll need to set up an account on the Shell Recharge app if you don't already have one but it's fairly easy to do and the price was reasonable for Hawaii - 28 cents per kWh. Of course if you end up getting a Tesla then you can just go to those chargers in Lahaina or Wailea.