FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fly the Drake vs. more luxurious ship
View Single Post
Old Mar 14, 2023, 12:43 pm
dbfact

Programs: united, american
I did Quark "Fly the Drake" at the beginning of the season (must have been Dec 2019) where their final cruise ship got held in port for 2 weeks (Covid fears). Only option for me to get to my 7th continent was flying. Even if (when) the patches work, the med makes me feel miserable. I know some people love the whole experience of Antartica, but for me I feel 'trapped' and dont like the cold weather in the first place, so wanted the shortest trip possible. I believe the flying option added $4000? Whole cruise part around $10,000k which is more than I typically spend but in retrospect falls in the 'worth it' category. So maybe you can keep shopping, find a good broker/advisor. I did share a cabin and that helped with the savings if you are solo. It was fine. Most people going to Antartica have a lot of travel experience, but even if you were not seasick and room mate was....??? not fun. I found a few on-line videos showing the ship and that helped a lot. The new ship sounds amazing. Also, if you have time/option, one of the high value redemptions for United excursionist perk is to get yourself to the galapagos if you plan it right. LOL - I was overconfident from my fine Antartcia trip so went on a last minute Galapagos cruise (smaller boats) and was sick/miserable the whole time - even with patches. No more boats for me!