FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AEGEAN Pass
Thread: AEGEAN Pass
View Single Post
Old Mar 12, 2023, 11:18 pm
giorginho

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
... I don't really see what they are gaining by disabling that option completely.
Is this actually true, I mean is there absolutely no "upgrade bid" option available while managing a booking made with the pass? If so, this is especially strange, given the fact that upgrade bid is even available for award tickets, that aren't upgradeable by any other means at all! I thought the "only with vouchers" was meant to simply exclude miles upgrades, that it only has to do with the options for "free" upgrades, the bidding system usually has absolutely nothing to do with these processes .
Originally Posted by ariadgr_
Example 1: Sometimes voucher upgrade only clears at the gate! So (Silver) customer misses extra baggage allowance and lounge access!
Example 2: Sometimes voucher upgrade does not clear at all, but once on-board you realise that business has empty seats!
While I do agree that there are cases, in which Aegean handles matters in a way that makes little sense and/or is wrong, these two examples aren't necessarily such cases. There are people who fly other airlines, who even pay for an upgrade after boarding the plane! I guess that makes even less sense to you, but I'm sure it does make sense to them. Keeping business with empty seats, while having outstanding upgrade requests or even bids could be a glitch of the system or it could very well be a strategic plan to, in a way, let you know, that "on this route, at this time of the year, you can't get a free upgrade, next time be sure to pay" or something like that, which, while I also hate, I do kind of understand. That being said, I think if you try your luck with a decent check-in agent (meaning basically at Aegean's hubs and with Aegean's own personnel), then I'd say you have at least a 80-90% chance (of course provided that business still has seats available) to get your upgrade to clear by about the time you reach the lounge).