FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - France Strike prevented us from coming. No mercy from Marriott
Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:18 pm
yorkboy24

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FullFare
Several of our kids orchestrated a memorial for our deceased parents on the recent weekend in Paris, Marcy 9-12. Our children have been far more successful than I and my spouse and used Hotel Le Bristol for the headquarters of the 3-day reunion, well beyond my affordability.
Budget for spouse and myself was $1,600 for the 3 days at Marriott des Champs E'lysses. We have stayed there before and thought it an affordable, very nice location. When we booked last Dec 2022, I took the option of the $1,600 price for 3 days, which was non-refundable, no exceptions. The night before we were to go. from SFO to CDG, UA notified us that we were cancelled. Apparent reason was the labor strikes affecting France.
UA gave us no viable options to get into France from any USA vector with any other carriers before the memorial event, making the trip futiile. UA did refund us.

I appealed to Marriot, both corporate and their hotel site, to let us have credit to use in the future. Was turned down, emphatically I might add. A bitter lesson for me, spouse, children, and grandkids. Not much I can do except learn unhappily and suggest that others beware of French politics with them in rerving there in the future. I had my do own doctor clear me for the trip, but never figured on a strike in France screwing up air arrivals from SFO.

Won't ever book Marriott hotels again. Also, disallowed my employees from using them on expenses. Marriott got me on this one, but lost buy good will forever, as did the rest of France.
Would travel insurance cover strikes and cancelled flights plus the consequences (hotel)?