FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
Old Mar 7, 2023, 9:09 am
kmersh

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Who needs wilted greens? Frozen foods are the United Airlines wave of the future. ✈️

Good leads the way!™
I had dinner with my friend who is the GM of the inflight kitchen last night and he filled me in a little more on what exactly UA is doing at lest domestically (he does not oversee a in-flight kitchen that caters UA Internationally), essentially they contracted with LSG to prepare frozen meals and ship them and any side dishes/deserts to the local in-flight kitchen.

All the local kitchen does is wash any dishes, load the trays, oven trays, load trolley carts, etc. and it is far cheaper for UA than if an airline caters the meal locally.

He said US Airways played with these LSG frozen meals, but kept the sides and any desert fresh, when AA unified the catering they continued using the frozen entrees, added frozen pre-baked cookies, but kept salads/sides fresh.

AA received loads of complaints about the frozen entrees and it took until just before the pandemic for AA to see its mistake and go back to fresh catered food, and it was during the pandemic that UA went hard in on the frozen meals and that is what we are seeing today (maybe because Kirby came from AA and US?).

Essentially he said that UA has tried to improve the frozen meals (just like AA did) but it will only make things somewhat better, unless UA goes back to fresh, the quality will only be soo good.