FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotel staff forced entry to guest room while someone is in it?
Old Mar 5, 2023, 11:54 pm
clarkef

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by The Road Goes On Forever
Staff make mistakes and guests at times do stupid things.

I've seen this one a few times over the years. Housekeeping after they're done, will sometimes mistakenly leave the connecting doors open or unlocked between two connecting rooms. Guest #1 checks in to room A and for whatever reason, decides to move to room B while saying nothing yet, the latch and deadbolt in room A are left engaged.

This sets up one of two scenarios where security/maintenance/the GM/the police may need to access the room in a non-traditional manor. 1. The desk thinks room B is vacant ready and the guest they properly check in to room B will likely be locked out with the deadbolt and security latch engaged in a supposedly unoccupied vacant ready room. 2. Assuming the room switch isn't figured out, the next day, housekeeping can't get into room A to check if it's vacant or if the guest has left because the deadbolt and latch are still engaged which still makes room B actually vacant dirty even though the hotel will think the room is actually vacant ready.

Presume/assume nothing because mix-ups and/or odd situations do happen.
Both seem like oddly specific scenarios, one which I must confess I have never encountered.
  • Scenario #1 seems unlikely, if for no other reason, the guest would i) not be able to access Room B via Room B's door and ii) would have no idea if and when another guest will check into Room B.
  • Scenario #2 doesn't make sense. Whether the previous guest exited through Room A or Room B, and left the latch on in either one of the rooms, the room occupied by OP (either Room A or B) was cleaned (presumably) by housekeeping and listed as available to be occupied. Had housekeeping flagged the room as unavailable because they could not access the room, the property would not have rented the room to OP.
Neither scenario explains why the hotel rented a room to OP then felt the need to enter the room, bypassing the security latch. My guess is that there was a mix-up, the hotel thought the room was empty and when housekeeping couldn't access the room, someone dropped the ball, didn't call or knock, but rather just entered.