FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone use a CPAP on board?
View Single Post
Old Mar 1, 2023, 1:59 pm
roastpuff

Programs: Marriott Gold
Managed to find myself a ResMed AirMini, and a way to power it off a battery bank for my safari trip! It's a bit finicky, and the start-up procedure is a bit interesting when connected to the Anker 737 Powercore 24K. I have to basically hold my breath and not breathe in for the first 15-20 seconds while the AirMini ramps up, otherwise the power draw seems to trip the overcurrent protection of the battery bank which will then cut the power. Once it has enough pressure I think it will sustain it fine. Will be doing an overnight test this week to see how long it can last, the on board power consumption meter estimates ~12-13hours or so, fluctuating up and down a bit with the power draw. The max that I've seen the AirMini draw is 19W while I deliberately made my mask leak, otherwise it settles in around 9W or so during an inhale. The power adapter from USB-C to AirMini 24V is a bit finicky, it's clearly handmade (BixPower in California) and I had to shave down the connector edges a bit to ensure a snugger/deeper fit.

It happily fits into my Peak Design Medium Camera Cube's extra space after the camera and lenses gets packed in, which also actually helps keep the camera gear from moving around. I do have to pack the mask separately though (Philips Dreamwear full face).