FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Convince me that I should go to Sicily
View Single Post
Old Feb 21, 2023, 11:59 am
mreynolds767

Originally Posted by JMN57
You do (or at least should). Driving back-and-forth Sicily for a day trip isn't my idea of fun (and I don't have an infant). See the post above - all of those are more accessible to Catania.

Personally, I think Ortigia is fantastic. Great historical (ancient) architecture surrounded by beautiful seas. When we went to Siracusa 10 years ago, a work colleague (Italian) asked his college roommate (from Siracusa) for a restaurant recommendation. He suggested Red Moon Pub and I recommend it heartedly with a caveat - it's a simple, casual locals place in a very large, yurt-like tent with about a dozen tables (the kitchen is in a building right next door). It's not in Ortigia but at the harbor across from the island. Great fresh seafood.

Architecturally, Noto has some great baroque architecture and is an interesting town to wander through (although be prepared for climbing as it's built on a hill).

Each town could easily occupy a day by itself.
JMN57: if you had to pick just 1 for a day trip (no overnight) which would you choose:
Ortigia or Noto ?
I have one day free in my plans on need to decide which ; want to walk in the main piazza, see a duomo, some souvenir shops, interesting architecture, gelato, etc...
Noto a little further drive but I believe will be easier to find parking so might be a wash time wise overall. Ortigia offers views of the sea which could be the tie breaker I imagine but also larger that it may not work as well as a day trip location?
Either way, likely can stop at the ruins outside of Siracusa that same day.