FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling to Mexico
View Single Post
Old Dec 16, 2004, 2:41 pm
alanwar

Traveling to Mexico

I'm traveling to Puerto Vallarta next week and have a few questions as I realize that Mexico is not just like the USA and thus has different laws and customs and so I want to be prepared.

1. Are there any regulations for what I can bring into Mexico via air. For example, are fresh fruits or meat banned ? What about dried fruit, dried fish, snacky food like rice crackers ?

2. Are there any special precautions that we should take in terms of personal safety beyond what I'd do in say New York City ? Are my belongings (such as digital camera, laptop, etc) going to be safe stored in my room ?

3. Is renting and travelling by car a good idea ? I heard that it is a bad idea especially for those like me who don't speak Spanish.

4. Should I exchange my dollars for pesos and pay in pesos or just hang on to my dollars and pay in them ? Are there any things (like bus, tips, etc) that I should use pesos for ? What is the best way to get pesos - ATM, hotel, bank, money changer ?

5. Is bribery really very prevalent and expected ? Are there situations where I should give a bribe and situations that I shouldn't ? And if so what are the amounts expected. Specifically I'm thinking about customs, getting stopped by police, etc. Personally I think it is bad karma to bribe.

6. What are things to do and avoid in Puerto Vallarta ?

Thank you