FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:31 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ERtraveler
Well, the SFO-KOA fares for October are still sky high and seats are not even selling. Other airlines are also super pricey. I’ve never seen them so high. We’re attending a wedding and staying 2 weeks and even with shifting the travel days there’s no relief. Tempted to book fully refundable fare and make a change later if and hopefully when there’s a price drop.
well, still 7 months out.

I personally wouldn’t worry about it right now. If this was for say, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, etc. maybe I’d be looking a bit more closely. October (IMO) is not really peak time either. I’d say probably no need to look before about June, and then keep watching to see when a fare closer to the one you want pops up. With no change fees, snag something that looks semi-decent, then you can always change and get the balance as a credit. If you really intent on watching the fares, I’d do no more for now then setting up alerts on Kayak or Google flights. This will also give you an idea of when fares are really starting to move. Then look a little more closer as summer starts to come around.