FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Future of Dulles Airport [and Metro line]
Old Feb 7, 2023, 11:01 am
djp98374

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by mhnadel
Bus 5A got killed when the Silver Line extension opened.

Also, WMATA themselves claim Rosslyn to IAD is 54 minutes, so no way would I believe anyone who claimed they did it in 45.
there are variables in this. For example….

—at rush hour times where cars sit longer to load/ unload can create time variations. St AM incoming you have people in silver loading trains from Dulles to Tyson’s then you start seeing both unloads and loads from Tyson’s to Roslyn. Then it’s primarily unloads till you get to transfer stations like metro center. Instead of doors being open 90sec they are open120 sec. Add this up over 10 stations you get 5 minutes. Then you have the door closing issues thst can add snother 20 seconds.

—if silver and orange are a station apart you get slow downs and holds at stations or between station

—slowdowns at places where lines merge/ split you can get the luck of trains needing to stop because of right of way rules

— hot summer days when outside exposed tracks expand you will have lower speed limits to prevent derailments that can occur.

I’ve done numerous Roslyn to whole/Reston that was around 30-35 min. It’s 10-15 min to Dulles station. I misted my experience upthread when I took it over the holidays.

metro closure periods get changed. The yellow line bridge was sept- mid May. It’s now end of May. The south DCS track closure in fall was extended 2-2 weeks. I wouldn’t be surprised to see another delay in the orange line work.