FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Someone obtained my boarding pass and got on my flight
Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:15 am
uanj

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Fyfan
As the others have said it sounds incredibly sinister. If the other passenger had done this very intentionally, it would sound like identity theft. And if it was incompetence from BA, then it’s a very serious security issue.

I’m curious, if it was a genuine mistake of the other passenger - why they didn’t check the boarding pass and see that it was printed in someone else’s name? Or perhaps they did know, but thought they would enjoy a free ride in club. So reading into this I cannot see a scenario where it was an unintentional mistake of the other passenger. Very disturbing and I’d second other comments that recommend contacting BA, as this is a serious security breach and the airline should take steps to investigate why this happened, and what needs to change to stop an incident happening like this again.
If an infrequent flier is being rebooked I can easily them not examining the BPs carefully and just making sure to get to the new gate ASAP.

Originally Posted by Strawb
Nope. He was offloaded and took his carry on with him. That was it basically.
This exact same thing happened to me on a domestic connection in BNE. On my second flight I got a beep, the gate agent asked for my ID and then told me to board. I did not think anything about it. I got to my seat and someone was in it, double checked I was at the right seat and asked the FA to check. The FA looked at the guy's BP and said he was in the right seat and called the gate agent. She got on board and saw that we both had BPs for the same seat but both with my name! She asked for his ID and his last name started with the same 3 letters as mine. Turns out the passenger had asked for a reprint of his BP because he spilled coffee on it. He spelled his name aloud and the agent printing the BP selected the wrong record.