FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why doesn’t AA allow upgrades on award flights?
Old Feb 4, 2023, 4:38 pm
777lover

Hopefully o can clarify — although i am going off of memory so take it all with a grain of salt

The award system could handle cash upgrades — think taxes or carrier imposed charges that have to be paid — IT could handle a a charge for an upgrade. The only small issue is that the RBC used would prob be J — so there need a way to differentiate a web special from the upgrade and/or going from T to U.

it is, like u mentioned, a strategy decision. AA wants PAX to buy up with miles — especially now that the difference between Y and F has become so great. Secondly, upgrading on an award ticket wa specifically targeted at EPs as they continue to try and differentiate EP from PP.

Originally Posted by carlosdca
I don't understand this question.

The question was: cash upgrades are not being offered for aaward travel, why?

My edited answer: It is definitively because of EITER an IT issue or AA does not want to (or a combo of both).

Why I think it might be an IT issue? Because AA has a lot of IT issues and it would not surprise me this one is one more.
Example: not being able to request an SWU upgrade online/app with no human interaction.