FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions -Free STBY for all, SDC for all elites
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:18 pm
leftysauce

Programs: AA Gold
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
Are these still the current/officially allowed? I think the language may have been modified in https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...t-changes.html or am I misremembering:

-Can I change my routing on the same day of travel?
Yes, you can do so when a change can be confirmed, but only if the fare allows for the new routing and there are no changes to the origin or destination airports.
T&C:
-Changes are only available for the same origin and destination airport. Your connection points can be changed if the fare you’ve bought allows for the new routing.
I was flying DEN-DFW-ORD and DFW-ORD cleared PZ. At DFW, the app and kiosk offered no SDC option for PZ or my ticketed fare class as usual when segment is upgraded. Did a flight search in the app and saw DFW-EWR-ORD was selling for V-W class with my ticketed fare class at 8. Went to the gate and GA said confirmed changes were not allowed (even though I showed her the website above) but she would try putting me on standby. I instantly cleared standby into my original ticketed fare class and she was puzzled. She called over a supervisor and the supervisor said "direct" flight cannot be changed to flights with connections. She deleted the cleared-standby segments and told me to call reservations.

I called reservations and the onshore agent said she couldn't see DFW-EWR-ORD option in her system even though flight search in the app was displaying the option. She also said that changing from non-stop to connections will require fare difference.

My question is :
If my fare only allows DEN-HOU-CHI, does that mean if I'm at IAH and see IAH-IAD-ORD, I'm not allowed to change to that? or was the agents simply unfamiliar with the SDC policy?
per
  • All remaining unflown segments in a single fared itinerary are considered together.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
The weird thing is that the routing rule was DEN-HOU-CHI but I was still able to change to DEN-DFW-ORD.

On a side note, Kirby was sitting a few rows ahead of me on DFW-ORD and I got to talk to him for a sec lol