FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 15% off all SkyMiles awards for Amex cardholder
Old Jan 25, 2023, 9:41 pm
GrayAnderson

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Every second January I pay the IRS $245,000 plus a 1.89% fee on my Reserve card and immediately file a tax return for a refund. I get 1.5 SM on the amount over $150,000 plus 60,000 MQMs plus 2 FC companion certs. Then I put the card in a drawer for 2 years. This gives me 2 years of DM status but CBs only every second year. This has been the best way for me to maintain my DM status and not having to stress over getting 40,000 MQDs (20,000 MQDs per year).
How long does it take for you to get that refund?

[I don't have quite this much headroom in my card...though I did milk the "refer a friend, get [I forget if it was 4 or 5] points per dollar on all spend" bonus for my taxes one year (I timed it out so I got the two Miles Boosts in January of 2020). That having been said, 1.5 RDMs/dollar probably puts the card in the ballpark of being reasonable for baseline spend...Chase FU would be a bit better, but at that point it's a question of margins given the value with drinks in the SkyClub ;-)]