FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status
Old Jan 25, 2023, 2:39 pm
TWA884
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Is there "official" phrasing regarding what AA miles earn loyalty points? Their premise was that most miles = LPs. Technically all of them except for credit card signup bonuses at least was my expectation, with probably a few other caveats. I participated in the Aadvantage early Holiday shopping bonus (earn between 500-4000 bonus miles by spending between $200 and $1500 before November 18th, '22) and my bonus miles did NOT earn loyalty points. I don't recall the website or my marketing emails saying they WOULD earn LPs but also it didn't mention that they WOULDN'T... is there phrasing one should keep an eye out for? Is the idea "Base mile" versus "bonus" mile? They call the Exec Platinum elite level benefits "120% status mileage bonus" which debunks my idea of bonus versus base... Doesn't this kindof defeat the purpose of supposedly making things clearer and easier?
The email which I received from AA announcing this promotion included the following language in the fine print:
1 Loyalty Point per eligible AAdvantage® mile 1 Loyalty Point accrues for every eligible AAdvantage® mile earned on purchases, excluding balance transfers, cash advances, checks that access your credit card account, items and services returned for credit, unauthorized charges, interest and account fees, traveler’s checks, purchases of foreign currency, money orders, wire transfers (and similar cash-like transactions), lottery tickets, and gaming chips (and similar betting transactions). Eligible AAdvantage® miles include the base miles earned on purchases, and do not include any bonus miles or accelerators. Loyalty Points may be earned on miles on purchases made by primary credit cardmembers and authorized users. Loyalty Points earned will be posted to the primary credit cardmember’s AAdvantage® account in 8 to 10 weeks.