FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread
Old Jan 25, 2023, 2:47 am
marcopizzaiuolo

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by guv1976
Even on a Basic Economy fare, I expect that each traveler in your party would get to check two bags at no charge, based on your BA Silver status. And you might also not only get free seat selection based on your BA status, but might also get to select Main Cabin Extra (extra-leg-room) seats at no charge, based on your status.

Since AA permits cancellation with a full refund within 24 hours of booking (as long as you book more than two days before departure), I suggest booking the flights you want with your BAEC number in the record, and then see if you can select seats for free. (The free baggage allowance might or might not appear in your e-ticket receipt.)

In any event, if you're going to fly AA, whether in Basic Economy or regular Main Cabin on a cash ticket, or Main Cabin on an Avios redemption, I recommend that you bring your BAEC Silver card with you to show to an AA agent if necessary.
many thanks for your reply.

I went back and did further research (various travel sites like TPG as AA own website only mention AA own status holders not OneWorld privileges) and it looks like I would benefit for the checked-in luggage allowance (2 pieces) and boarding groups but not of free seat selection.

Interestingly as a Sapphire/BA silver on a BA Basic Economy/hand luggage only tariff, I get free seat selection, boarding group privileges but no checked luggage allowance at all.

we will be two of us flying and as I understand we can get very random seating assignment so may be worth it to pay the extra £100 (for both of us) for Main cabin Tariff (thoughts?)