FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avios tickets from US to Japan
View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:21 pm
KARFA
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Refer to post #4 and post #5 for the perpetual evidence over the significant delta in charges being passed on to the passenger depending on booking method. This is what I was referring to.
Indeed. Some FFPs do charge them, some don't. In some ways AA's FFP is worse value, but perhaps in this specific way it is better. It still doesn't make them "BA's surcharges" though.

And in whose pocket do you suppose those carrier surcharges end up?
JAL quite clearly.

Originally Posted by guv1976
I think the point is that partner carriers are not required to collect the operating carrier's surcharges on partner-issued award tickets. AA does not do so on award flights operated by JL or any AA partner, except BA and IB. So if BA is not required to collect the JL carrier surcharges on award flights operated by JL, why does BA do so?
No one said they are "required" to collect them. It is just a term of BAEC that BA do pass them on, other FFP's do not for reward bookings. Each FFP differs from each other one about how they operate. I am not sure why there would be an expectation they should all operate in the same way.

It is an interesting question though, are AA somehow "paying" JAL less at the end of the day for that F seat than BA, or are the prices the same but AA is recovering the cost in a different way across their scheme? Also take in to account, we are looking at two different currencies here with AA miles vs BA avios, are they worth the same?

Last edited by KARFA; Jan 24, 2023 at 10:29 pm