FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FA: " Rule is your food must be on floor not in overhead bin. Move it."
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:30 pm
Antarius
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
They could ask you to change the shirt if there was foul language printed on the shirt, or if the shirt was immodest or a safety concern.

Doesn't matter. You have to follow crew member instructions. Take it up, later, with the airline or DOT.
Right, but those are requests in line with published rules. If an FA said they don't like blue or they hate bowties because their ex wore them, there's no rule behind that and "must follow crew member instructions" doesn't encompass these situations.

Generally speaking, it's best to listen. But if an FA came up and demanded to see the contents of my laptop or something like that, not a ....ing chance in hell that I'm going to comply.

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
I rarely disagree with your views, but I do here. (Although I admit I had the same thoughts about an offense shirt.) And I admit it reaches to the level of absurd, BUT.... If a deeply disturbed FA asked you to assult your seatmate "Punch him" - for no apparent reason - would you comply? A level of common sense must be applied to directives from FA, although in most reasonable (that is, almost all) situations I would agree it's better to comply and sort later.
Agree completely. Obscene language is not permitted by AA. An FA asking you to change is well within their rights to do so as an authorized representative of the airline in charge of enforcing policy. However, your other example is a good one. While unlikely to ever happen, it does clearly illustrate the bounds that the phrase "must follow all crew member instructions" has.

Last edited by Antarius; Jan 25, 2023 at 1:23 pm