FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help
Old Jan 24, 2023, 8:46 pm
ZenFlyer

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by jsloan
Silver isn't nothing -- it will get you through to UA ahead of the masses, and may increase your likelihood of getting a more experienced agent (although those are few and far between these days).

What class of service are you booked in? It's hard to tell from your prices, which sounded like business class at first but now sound like economy when you're talking about sub-20K for the domestic leg.

I suspect there's an excellent chance that a party of 2, with status, could clear into economy on an earlier flight via standby. That said, you might get an agent at your departure airport to take pity on you and confirm you early, especially if the later flight looks at all dicey.

That said, though, it seems to me that you may be focusing on the wrong problem. Your goal isn't to get to IAH -- it's to get to SYD. If the IAH flight is mucked up, are there other options to get you to LAX or SFO in time to catch those departures? Alternatively, does IAH-AKL operate on your date? There's a possibility UA would put you onto that if you misconnected (no guarantees; some agents will insist on needing award space for routing onto a partner, even during IRROPS, even though it's not supposed to be necessary).
Thanks so much for helping me to think this through. It was a mixed class award, so we're in Y for the domestic leg, and J for the IAH-SYD leg.

It's a good point you raise about focusing instead on SYD. I always feel funny/superstitious about posting my actual itinerary, but I'll just be bold this time and reveal (lol) that the departing airport is STL, and unfortunately, the options from there to both SFO and LAX require an extra stop through ORD or DEN. So that's why the IAH awards were such a great find when we got them. The AKL flight is indeed operating that evening so could indeed be a potential backup, though I take the point about no guarantees.