FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status
Old Jan 24, 2023, 7:16 pm
Beckles
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
Since we don't know how the prepaid amounts are split among the various parties nor do we know the various commissions paid, it's hard to project how things will play out.
Well, if I book a one night stay in Vegas at the Strat for $32.56 tonight, once the money is split between The Strat, Rocketmiles, American Airlines, credit card processor, and taxes, I think The Strat is really counting on at least getting the $40 resort fee for it to make sense for them to even block out a room. In small quantities they may not care much, but I could see this getting out of hand, and Rocketmiles' own rules give them recourse if and when it comes to that in that they state you have to complete the stay. Fortunately, they have been posting miles pretty quickly so one should be able to avoid getting in a hole if they actually ever enforce their stated rule they wait for the stay to be confirmed. The reality is these types of loopholes at some point tend to get hammered to the point someone feels they have to close it, Flyertalk is filled with such cautionary tales.
Originally Posted by JetAway
very few people will pay for a room they don't intend to use.
And no one would by pallets of pudding they're not going to eat or buy Bonzai trees they don't want and it's not like there's already a common term for making hotel stays one doesn't really need, but I suppose we could make one up ... a bed jog ... headboard dash ... mattress run ... something like that.