FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:38 am
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
Hi,

I am looking to book my first AA US Domestic flight ( OneWorld Sapphire/BA Silver) and specifically a basic economy return flight ATL-MIA, and would be thankful if you could confirm the following understanding I have about teh Basic Economy tariff:

- No Seat Selection for OneWorld Elite Status Holder
- No Checked in luggage included, but could be bought for $32, first piece - i am guessing per traveller, so if two travelling then both pay $32 for the first piece of luggage each (is the cost right, and what is the weight allowance for this fee)
- Planning to credit these flights to my BAEC account but not yet clear of the Avios earning (pretty sure that there is no Status bonus but not clear if they credit as % of miles flown and/or value spent)

Many tahnks
Even on a Basic Economy fare, I expect that each traveler in your party would get to check two bags at no charge, based on your BA Silver status. And you might also not only get free seat selection based on your BA status, but might also get to select Main Cabin Extra (extra-leg-room) seats at no charge, based on your status.

Since AA permits cancellation with a full refund within 24 hours of booking (as long as you book more than two days before departure), I suggest booking the flights you want with your BAEC number in the record, and then see if you can select seats for free. (The free baggage allowance might or might not appear in your e-ticket receipt.)

In any event, if you're going to fly AA, whether in Basic Economy or regular Main Cabin on a cash ticket, or Main Cabin on an Avios redemption, I recommend that you bring your BAEC Silver card with you to show to an AA agent if necessary.