FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [SHUT DOWN] Unofficial Advanced AC Reward Search Tool (cowtool)
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:36 pm
Smiley90
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I have noticed that J class on transatlantic routes from YOW to CDG is cheaper in points than YOW to GVA,

What do I enter in the cowtool so that the routing will be from YOW to CDG and then to GVA - as part of the single search?
That's not how it works. The price is based on the whole itinerary - just because YOW to CDG is cheaper than YOW-GVA doesn't mean that YOW-CDG-GVA will be cheaper than YOW-GVA.

Similarly, connecting flights will often be cheaper than direct flights. And sometimes longer-distancs flights are cheaper than shorter-distance flights. If you want consistent pricing, you need to look at itineraries that don't involve AC at all - but those have, as I'm sure youve noticed by now, limited availability and you need to be flexible with dates and times.

(Does LX even fly CDG-GVA?)

TLDR: Pick 2:

-Cheap-Desided Destination-Desided Date
*A lot of luck and/or planning required to get all 3
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Changeup2000
It should be also be argued that doing search on a single date defeats the purpose of cowtool. You may just do it at the AC website …
True that. So many people read random blog posts that go "with this tool/credit card you can fly anywhere for free!" and then are surprises when it's not all rainbows and butterflies. Then they see "oh you need to use this cowtool to get the deals!" And it still doesn't magically create inventory for their Sakura flights in F two months before flight time... Not trying to be too snarky.