FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Several questions about upcoming Europe trip
Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:57 pm
LovePrunes

Originally Posted by Rossodio
Cons:
- Won't be F but instead will be J coming back home. No opportunity for FF dining or the FF cabin.
- I booked with award miles for FF both outbound and inbound; no longer get FF or its benefits on the trip. On a call with the EXP customer service rep, interestingly enough, the flight they moved me to with J class service and one less stop would now cost more miles than the trip I booked previously, as would other J flights throughout the day. This speaks to the devaluation of loyalty points/miles that people have been mentioning in here as of late. Compared with a 11/2022 flagship first trip, a 1/2023 business trip costs more loyalty points. Booking this same trip back in November would have cost me tens of thousands of loyalty points less than it apparently does now. So no hope of getting those points back in exchange for bumping me down a cabin class from what I can gather.
hey sounds like a fun trip. Just a quick clarification...Nothing "costs loyalty points" as you put. LPs are just earned for elite status and some perks along the way, some new ones added in 23 for the kettles to get "seat upgrades", "rental car bonuses/benefits" who have no shot at earning EXP, etc.
the switch from EQMs/EQDs can be confusing, so I just thought I'd throw out the clarification. AA hasn't "devalued loyalty points" or anything. They've made them easier to earn for many of us, but they are completely different from miles you use to redeem for trips like the great one you're booked on. Remains to be seen if in March there is a mileage (RDM) devaluation with the future "simply mileage redemption chart" they say is coming then.

Cheers