FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Paying First Class ticket needs to be rebooked; all First Class cabins full
Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:06 am
Adam1222

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by LeonS
Even when there aren't any IRROPs, the current flow is suboptimal for a paying First Class passenger.

My experience -in particular with Alaska, my main carrier- is that attempting things like a same-day change in First Class are very, very hard. I have usually not had any problems to make First Class changes 2 days prior to the flight, but once you are within the 24h - 48h before takeoff, almost all First Class seats disappear. It's undeniable that the selling-out of First Class seats -and the resulting less flexibility and solutions in case of IRROPS- detracts from the experience of a paying First Class passenger.

As you point out, the airline is free to upgrade folks when and how it pleases. But I am also free to point out that for me -and seemingly a handful of other folks on this thread- it worsens the First Class experience and as a result it reduces the amount that I'm willing to pay for First Class.
Yes, you certainly are free to complain and there certainly will be people on Flyertalk who would run airlines differently, or respond with non sequiturs about loyalty or credit cards. I tried to explain, however, that your preferred model of leaving multiple first class seats empty on every flight until takeoff, is not practical- particularly in a time where planes have very high loads.

It's particularly odd that people are making comments about this having to do with "loyalty." Unclear why. But AA elites would have far more to complain about if planes consistently went out with open seats in F because they were being held open for "paying first class" passengers who may or may not have any loyalty to the airline and may or may not need them.

There's a reason you've now identified two airlines that don't do what you want.

Last edited by Adam1222; Jan 23, 2023 at 6:54 am