FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 1:55 pm
SpaethCo

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Yes, Hulu cannot be billed annually.
My point is that the other two services can, and you get the full monthly credit because the annual subscriptions still count in the bundle.

So I can pay $109.99 for the annual Disney+ subscription and get $10.99/mo off the $19.99 Trio premium Hulu package price for the full 12 months bringing that cost down to $9/mo. Since that doesn’t take “full advantage” of the credit, that tends to make people choose the more expensive path and bill all of the services as monthly so they can nail that $20/mo max out.

At the end of the day this example is only overpaying by about $20/year, but all of these credits have a tendency to have some sort of implicit mark-up. (ie, Saks rarely has the best pricing, if ordering UberEats to use up the Uber credit that often has a mark-up over just ordering direct, etc)

This can all still be worth it for the other benefits of the card, but it’s important for me to at least be aware of the concessions I’ve made to make a card (the Platinum, or any other card) “fit” when credits are involved. I only commented on this because Amex markets the living crap out of this card enough on their own, we can at least be honest amongst ourselves about the tradeoffs we’re making for some of these credits.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I pay $695 and Amex gives me $200 in free UA airfare that I would otherwise pay for.
$200 in Travel Bank credit is not the same as $200 in cash for use with UA. It’s pretty liberal, but there are still more restrictions with how Travel Bank funds can be used compared to straight cash paid to UA.

Just to complete this thought exercise: If you dropped the Platinum card, would you still put $200 in the UA travel bank every year?