FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 1:52 pm
notquiteaff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SpaethCo
It's only "free" if you were willing to pay the full freight $695 annual fee for the Platinum card and would keep the card even if there were $0 in credits. The instant you start using the credits to justify the annual fee that's not free anymore - that's your dollars you're getting back if you spend it in very specific ways.
I am not sure I understand.

I pay $695 and Amex gives me $200 in free UA airfare that I would otherwise pay for.

if Amex eliminated the credit, and I would keep the card for $695, I would now pay an extra $200 to get my airfare. And my total cost would be $895.

Same with entertainment credits if I would buy them independent of having the plat card. Which in my case is the case. I have had NYT and Sirius XM subscriptions for many years. So I value them at full price. I also got Peacock for $0.99 a month on Black Friday. I would have paid that for it anyway, but the Plat makes it free.