FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 2:24 pm
nmenaker

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
We are all so very busy, so we spend a good portion of our day looking at these forums everyday

But in all seriousness, the time it takes for the “couponing” aspect is heavily overstated. I understand it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but for those of us who grew up with less well means couponing was a rite of passage to save 50c on a box of cereal. Now it’s a hobby to potentially max out the value of your travel and some small portion of your lifestyle choices.

The only monthly credit that actually takes any time to use is the Uber one, if you don’t actually use Uber rides on a regularly basis. Which is fine, that particular credit is not for you!
I think it’s pretty much safe to assume that we’re all somewhat travelers on this forum.. MAYBE people come here just to discuss technology topics or credit card topics, not related to travel but I’m guessing those numbers are low

As a travel, let alone FREQUENT traveler, it’s really not hard at all to get all the credits and bonuses that the card offers and not even diving into “couponing” or coming up with some soft dollar calc for lounge access, extended warranties, FHR benefits, etc.

For me, a traveler and quite a bit less than in past years/decades I can easily calc the cash benefit this way:

$200 Annual travel credit (thank you United TB)
$200 Uber credit (I use Uber for any back and forth to airports and in months that I’m not flying, we’re buying at least ONE meal with Uber Eats, for pickup or delivery
$240 Streaming credit (this was a new one last year and has really boosted the what I’ll call BASE value that the card offers relative to the AF (was $495/550/ now $695)
$189 Annual reimbursement for CLEAR screening (I don’t actually need the whole nut for us both being UA MP 1MM so it’s a tad less)

That’s $830 EASY without any couponing. I could easily add $20 for Global Entry which is $100 every five years. The $100 SAKS credit which my wife uses EASILY. Etc. Etc.

But the ease of checking the OFFERS and keeping that in mind when doing normal purchasing added over $650 to my cash back last year which makes it much easier to justify.

I’d be surprised if a TRAVELLER in a typical American household (with apparently an average of FIVE STREAMING SERVICES) that the majority of card holders can’t easily get the top FOUR items I listed above.