FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed
Old Jan 20, 2023, 1:28 pm
sxpsxpsxp

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by fishinggal
How long should I continue to wait for an award booking to go from "on request" to ticketed?

Last September I used my AA miles and booked a flight from the US to Nairobi, Kenya. The flights were on Alaska, American Air and British Airways. These flights ticketed within hours of booking them. In December the Alaska flights changed times and could no longer make the connection work for the AA flight. I received a message to call and discuss options. I called and the agent was helpful in figuring out a new route that now includes AA and BA. I was told it would ticket within 24 hours. It's 3 weeks later and it still hasn't ticketed. I have called twice and been told that everything is fine and I'm in the queue for ticketing and it will happen eventually. I'm worried I've fallen out of the queue and when I expressed my concern to the agent on this last call she said, "these award bookings can take months to ticket." That sounds ridiculous to me and I don't want to make too many nonrefundable plans in Kenya and find out I can't go. The trip is not until June, but I'd like to have the flights confirmed well before then.

Any advice on what to say or who to talk to at AA or stories where it really did take months but everything worked out would be great. Thanks!
There's a whole thread on this and I can tell you it is not uncommon. It is also not "too long" for it to be 3 weeks. I had an AA award flight on BA that was in "on request" status after a schedule change for several months. Multiple calls just reassured me that everything was fine and they were just waiting for BA to do their thing and it was taking forever. Indeed eventually it switched to ticketed all by itself.

I advise you to check periodically. If you're not traveling until June, I wouldn't start worrying until April.