FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Guide: Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:30 pm
platbrownguy

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by kirill
Booked award ticket on QR with AA miles and It seems that we are in a situation where AA says they can't add lap infants and QR tells us that they cant modify AA ticket. Is there a way out of this?
No, it's literal hell. See here: Infant lap seat for a oneworld award

I've been trying to add a lap infant to ORD-DOH-MLE-DOH-JFK (all QR, in J, booked with AA miles) for like 7 months and still haven't been able to do it.

Tonight I called AA for something entirely unrelated but I got a fantastic agent who was able to do some complicated work on another international itinerary very deftly. So I asked her to help with this lap infant issue, and she agreed, thinking that there ought to be a way to issue the infant ticket since the awards on are AA stock.

I ended up spending 90 minutes on the phone with her, great agent, as she called the rate desk, a help desk, a oneworld liaison and then, ultimately, QR themselves (!) only to confirm that she cannot in fact do it, despite her every desire to get it done. She said that the QR agent seemed a bit clueless (she agreed that he was likely not in the US and likely was reading from a script) and she said that the QR agent's only solutions were (1) buy a J seat for the infant with money, (2) buy a J seat for the infant with miles, or (3) cancel one of the adults' mileage seats and buy an adult a J seat with cash, tacking the infant onto that.

So I will go back to calling QR periodically and hoping that I get the agent that @mulantree in the other thread claimed to have gotten -- the lore is that the right agent at QR can sell a standalone infant ticket so long as it is linked to the adult award reservations. But honestly I am beginning to doubt any anecdotes of success in this. My next step will be to try to find a QR desk at an airport that is willing to help, maybe, I don't know. I seriously wish a travel agent who reads things on this forum would send me a PM -- seems like the kind of ticket a TA should be able to just print off and charge me a fee for.

Not sure what I'll do if it doesn't work, probably just buy Y tickets with AA on JFK-DOH to use SWUs. But sure as heck not spending $5000 instead of 140k miles for an adult just to be able to pay for the infant, and not spending $5000 for the infant to have a seat that won't be used!