FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Global Upgrades on Delta (GUCs) post 2/1/2022 Changes
Old Jan 13, 2023, 8:14 am
bgriff

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Zamees
Help with last minute award GUC upgrade, available on delta.com, but not via phone rep.

I've booked a last minute miles trip from ICN->ATL in Premium Select on Delta metal. Delta.com shows 13 available delta one seats. Delta also has the note on the site that says "Delta OneŽ suites available with Global Upgrade Certificate" After calling Delta to upgrade, I'm told that there is no availability. One agent then told me that she can't even waitlist me to use a certificate. This is a booking for less than 24 hours away. The next agent claimed to have waitlisted me since there is no availability for GUC.

Is this accurate, what is the point of GUC's for Diamond members if you can't use them to upgrade to Delta one from PSelect on a flight with almost 50% of Delta one available. Should I expect my waitlist to clear, i'm likely going to choose another airline if I can't get the upgrade, as the miles for alternate airline are less than the miles required for Premium Select (but not as good of a routing).
Any time an agent says they can't waitlist you on a Delta-operated flight, you've got a real dud, so I would ignore anything that agent had to say.

That said, there have been some reports that possibly upgrade availability might be different depending whether you are upgrading a cash or mileage ticket, though it wasn't clear if that was just bad agent information.

Since you say it is for travel less than 24 hours out, I assume you mean it is for ICN-ATL on 14 January on DL26, which does currently show Z0 on ExpertFlyer meaning confirmable GUC upgrade space in D1 should in fact not be available, so it is possible the availability indicator on Delta.com is acting up again (or it's possible something changed in the last few minutes/hours). If you have a connection, that may be part of the issue ... it's possible Z is available for your entire connecting itinerary and Delta.com is showing GUC available on that basis, but Z is not available for the ICN-ATL segment by itself. (It's not 100% clear which one is supposed to govern upgrade availability though.)

But anyway, if you are within 24 hours of departure you should be able to check in and see where you stand on the upgrade list? With that many empty seats I would expect you will clear.